Freight, Demurrage & Defence
for Shipowners and Charterers
At A Glance
Coverage for legal services, loss prevention, claims assistance and cost containment.
General limits of up to USD 2,000,000.
Strong security through with strictly A+ rated partners.
Fully compatible with Hanseatic P&I cover. But also available as entirely independent stand-alone cover.
“Made in Germany”. Wordwide services with a traditional German approch to business, lean structures and competitive prices.
Fixed, mostly annual, premium – No additional calls. At the signing of the contract you know your final costs.
For up to USD 2,000,000 of cover, clients of Hanseatic Underwriters’ Freight, Demurrage and Defence products enjoy the reliability and financial strength of fully A+ rated security, provided by American International Group, Inc. (AIG).
AIG is a leading global insurance organization. Building on 100 years of experience, today AIG member companies provide insurance and other financial services to customers in more than 80 countries and jurisdictions. These diverse offerings include products and services that help businesses and individuals protect their assets and manage risks.
To continue to offer best possible FD&D cover even after the United Kingdom left the European Union, we already cooperate with the EEA and non-EEA entities of AIG and Lloyd’s today.
FD&D – Customised for the shipping industry
Tailor-made for the shipping industry, Hanseatic Defence covers disputes between charter parties (such as off-hire, withdrawal, speed and performance claims, laytime and demurrage) and disputes arising from other freight contract issues, disputes with agents, disputes in respect of sale and purchase of second-hand tonnage or new-buildings and repairs, and disputes with Hull and Machinery, Loss of Hire and/or War Risk Underwriters or P&I Insurers.
Whether you are seeking to recover sums which are due to you or contesting claims which have been wrongly raised against you in respect of vessels insured, Hanseatic Defence ensures that you will receive the prompt and practical legal advice you need to resolve disputes as quickly and efficiently as possible – anywhere in the world.
Standard CoverCovered are costs and fees for disputes – amongst others –
- under charter parties
- relating to the supply of bunkers to ships
- under insurance contracts in connection with the vessel
- under contracts with ship‘s agents, stevedores and other port operators
- under contracts relating to the operation, management or crewing of the vessel
- under seaman’s employment contracts
Extended CoverAgainst additional premium and by special agreement the cover can be extended to
- disputes relating to shipbuilding and sales & purchase contracts
- criminal and administrative offence proceedings against the Assured unless they result from intentional misconduct
Cover ExclusionsExcluded – amongst others – are
- claims with a dispute amount of less than USD 7,500
- claims in respect of which the Assured is or could have been covered by any other insurance contract, e.g. P&I Insurance